Monday, October 25, 2010

A house of my own. By, Sandra Cisneros



When I read this story, it made me felt that book wrote in 1900s because during that year, man have a power and control after woman. I said that because I notice that author kept repeated that house is her own. In the book, not a man's house. not a daddy's house. A House all my own. Also, I can see her clearly emotion in the book because last part of the story said only a house quiet as a snow, a space for myself to go, clean as paper before the poem. This emotion show that she live in the house with man or someone control after her life until she decide to live in her own house which mean she wont have any receive command from her dad or man. Therefore, all of her point is she want to have freedom and can do everything she want to. In addition, she said in the book, with my porch and my pillow, my pretty purple petunias, why she said color too because she tired of follow boys or daddy or man’s colors tend to be blue, green, and more but not purple, pink or many more of girls’ favorite colors.

This story made me curious from author's background. So, I decide to look up on website on her background life. I found that good website about her and I'm not surprise at all because she had six brothers and have Mexican father. So, I’m sure enough that she tired of life with boys or man in same house because most of boys tend to being tough or mean to girls during young ages, also, I notice that anyone who have Mexican fathers tend to handwork man and like to finish with everything before next day. So, I assume that she don’t want to life in same house with boys or man ever again because she don’t have her girl time or whatever.

I strongly recommend is to anybody with two eyes and free hour to read this short story because its would impact your feeling and view of woman in 1900s during their society pressure by man.

No comments:

Post a Comment