Monday, October 25, 2010

Saturday at the Canal. By. Gary Soto



When I read this poem, I still don’t understood why he being so irony in poem until end of poem, i found that amazing. Also, when I read this poem and I do feel that poem is so real because I live in a completely boring town. I see same faces everyday because my high school is only 300 students, this made me to have day-dreaming about something that big different from my hometown. Sometimes, I just want to going to different city because I want to see different people and breath of fresh air. In addition, sometime, I want to get in a car and just drive to other city because during that time, I was 17 years old and have drive license which mean I just can take my mother’s car and zoom to somewhere else. Also, I think this poem is very interesting because I understand it better after reading about Gary’s life as a child and a teenage. In addition, my favorite line is “School is just a check mark” this made me thinking that the author was present at school but his mind want to learning because he keep to have day-dreaming about going to San Francisco, where everything is so much different than his hometown. In end of poem, I do have feeling that kids who 17 years old should do stupid things like break the laws because once you become 18 years old, your criminal record will gone. I’m strongly related to this poem because I had that kind of feeling that where I just want to get out of my hometown to meet new people, new city, and more. I think this poem is first time for me to interesting. When I look up on website to find background of author name is Gary Soto, I learn that he had difficult life with his family because his father is died when he is only five years old, after that, their family become more struggle with their family’s budget. He was not a good student that’s where lead him to wrote a poem about his life. So, author want to tell us who struggle or boring during 17 years old then suggest us to get out of hometown and have fun with new faces and new cities,

No comments:

Post a Comment