Monday, November 8, 2010

Rules of the Game. By, Amy Tan



When I saw a book title, Rules of the Game, its my first thought was someone must to be in control by someone else by play their rules. Until, I read one paragraph said one morning Waverly has had enough of her mother’s boasting about her and runs away for the rest of the day. When she returns home, her mother and there rest of the family ignore her, as if she didn’t exist. Therefore, my opinion of that paragraph, when her mother being upset that her daughter didn’t take her advice during chess game or whatever then family will follow mother’s emotion and ignore her daughter, I think its not fair for her daughter because its difficult when adult or someone that older than you and they expect you to better than that which you have to reach over your limit and they still want more. Also, I think rules of the game is actually a chapter about the rules of chess, as well as the rules of life, I said that because Amy Tan’s life is all about chess because if she don’t do well with chess games then she will have family difficult just because she didn’t win. In addition, I notice that most of characters in the book are Chinese Americans. I assume that Amy have two mixed countries culture which its lead her to confused with her life and identity between chess and life. She hasn’t identity that who she is because chess take her life over. One part that touchy me, after their fight and Waverly runs away, she eventually returns, and her mother says she will no longer have anything to do with her daughter. Can you imagine that anyone or everyone in your family relative decide to give up on you which mean you don’t have any place to stay or eat the food. Its never happen to me before because my mother wont and never let that happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment