Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On The Rain River. By, Tim O'Brien

When I read that story, I don’t blame on him to kept secret to himself for many years because everyone have their own big and dark secret that you don’t want to tell anyone at all. When Tim O’Brien tells a story about how he faced his first real test of courage in June, 1968 when he was drafted to fight in a war he thought was wrong. Or rather, he didn’t understand how it could be right. There were too many questions that the government hadn’t answered to his satisfaction. This war was not right for him. He was too smart, too ambitious, and compassionate. He hated camping and boy scouts. He decided to just wait. When he said that, this make me feel that he won’t survive in war because he hated camping and against war. Also, first sentence of story said this is one story I have never told before. Not to anyone. Not to my parents, not to my brother and sister, not even to my wife, this make me feel that he have some of fear in his heart that he don’t want anyone to know that he is against war, if they found it out then they will turn and against on him? Imagine, I become Tim O’Brien at 1968, I would be scare because I would rather to keep secret to myself, if I decide to tell someone else then they will spread words to others then they decide to turn against me. I have some to admit that I still don’t understand why we have Vietnam War, it was Vietnam’s problem, it’s not America’s problem. One part of the story, he decides that he needs to get moving again, write a letter to his parents asking them not to be mad, cross the river and make his way into Canada then he pulls the boat near Canadian side, O’Brien has to do is jump and swim for it then he decide to take opportunity, its impact me so hard because can you imagine if you really don’t want go to war but you had to fought for himself instead being fear and hide from America. Remember, America is his sweet home and he hide from America, its not make a sense. The tone of that story is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment