Thursday, November 11, 2010

Beautiful and Cruel. By, Sandra Cisneros



When I read this short story, this remind me of A house of my own, its one of short poem in same book, leaving home. A house of my own talk about one woman finally have her own power because she always been pressure by man and boys in all of her life, so its concept same as Beautiful and Cruel talk about one girl who think she is really ugly and accept it. The first sentence of this story said “ I am an ugly daughter. I am the one nobody comes for. This part is impact me so hard because I can see some people who knew that themselves is ugly and don’t tell me that they are ugly while that girl in that story, she admit that she is ugly which mean she accept who she is. Imagine, I become ugly son in the family, I bet that I will be suffer and sad all the time because there are plenty of bully people which I don’t want to deal with it. Other part of the story said “In the movies there is always one with red red lips who is beautiful and cruel. She is the one who drives the men crazy and laughs them all away. Her power is her own. She will not give it away.” This part make me feel that she wrote that story during her young time because in sixty years ago, there full of women pressure by men and society and watch a movie which I love lucky or any shows during in 1950s because most of actress in 1950s, they tend use red lip and show this clear on the television. Other part of the story, “I have begun my own quiet war” This part make me feel that she knew that she is ugly, therefore, she kept it hide from men and careful with men for some reason. The tone of that story is power because author kept use power words and right word choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment